Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Summer Linky Party- Classroom Management




With summer half way over for me (we go back to school on August 6th-YIKES!!!), I’ve been thinking a lot about my classroom management plan for kindergarten. I am a firm believer in having a strong structure built on a framework of routines and procedures. In this post I thought I would share a few of the things that have helped my classroom run smoothly.

Procedure Game:  Like all teachers, I spend the first weeks teaching procedures. To help students verbalize the procedure, I have made a review game. I made a list of questions based on our procedures, printed them onto index cards, laminated, and then put them on a ring. Whenvever we have a few minutes throughout the day especially during the first few weeks, I will go over a few. Sometimes I will give a little treat (small piece of candy) but most of the time the reward is a high-5. We go over our review game whenever I think we need a little review (like after Christmas). I don’t have a picture of my review game (it’s stuck in my classroom), but I will post the review game in my TPT store within the week.

Tables:  I LOVE tables! I HATE desks! When students use desks, they become homes for all sorts of junk:  broken crayons, half eaten snacks, toys, trash The list goes on and on. One of my favorite kiddos not only cluttered his own desk, but that of the person sitting next of him who was out sick. I was ecstatic when I was given the opportunity to use tables in my 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms. In order to keep my tables organized, I used a community supply crate that held pencils, highlighters, pens, and a mini stapler. I also had a bookshelf at the end of each table. The table held workbooks, journals, dry erase boards, glue, scissors, etc. All my textbooks were kept in my cubbies.  Each table had a table captain; this person collect and handed out materials and completed any table chores throughout the week. I changed my table captains weekly.



One of my favorite classroom management resources is this book, The Cornerstone:  Classroom Management That Makes Teaching More Effective, Efficient, and Enjoyable. Angela Powell Watson, author, makes so many wonderful points in this easy to read book. I reread it every summer before school starts. It is an AMAZING resource. Be sure to check it out. 


This is just a little peek into my classroom and the procedures that help my room run smoothly. I can’t wait to see how other people manage their kindergarten classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment