Sunday, July 21, 2013

10 Things I've Learned From Teaching- Linky Party


Teaching is such a fun career, and everyday I learn something new. Today Im linking up with Miss Kindergarten for the Top Ten Things Ive Learned from Teaching. I hope you enjoy reading my top ten and reflect a little on all the things you have learned too.



1.  Be Prepared – Especially at the beginning of the year while you are trying to feel out your kiddos, always have more planned. You never know when you might need a little something extra to keep your kiddos busy.

2. Be Flexible – Things come up. I sometimes laugh that my lesson plans are the greatest fiction that I have ever wrote. I try to follow them each day, but we have fire drills, assemblies, teachable moments, and just the every day silly stuff.

3. Teach your kiddos that respect is important. Yes, I want my kiddos to be successful academically. But even more, I want to be proud of their character and the content of their hearts. Teach your kiddos to respect others.

4.  Differentiated Instruction- In college, differentiated instruction is the buzz word that everyone hears constantly. But differentiating instruction is so important to meeting the needs of your kiddos.  I love checking out A Differentiated Kindergarten blog. She has the most amazing ideas of differentiation in kindergarten.

5.  Be organized- Your students will thrive in an organized and structure environment.

6.  Teaching is more than coloring. In college I couldnt stand the people who said that the field of education was a coloring major. Teaching is so much more than coloring.

7. Never Stop Learning- The best teachers are the ones who never stop learning and never stop trying to learn the best practices in education.

8. Dont try to be their friend. You are not there to be liked. You are there to be the teacher. The students will respect you for teaching them.

9.  Start a diary- Every night at dinner I have a hilarious story or two to share with my husband. Write these stories down. On the bad days, it is always fun to read through the funny things. Remembering the child who was thankful for cheese, starfish, and penguins at Thanksgiving or the child who asked Santa for deodorant for his daddy makes my day every time!

10. Teaching is an AMAZING career. It is a job that I cant wait to get up and go to each day!

4 comments:

  1. I loved reading your top 10, each and everyone is so true. I found your blog through this linky and I am your newest follower can't wait to read more post. I would love for you to come check out my blog if you get a chance. Thanks for sharing.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had kept a diary since starting teaching! I would have a book full of weird things they say all the time!

    Erin
    The E-Z Class

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd written all the funny things they've said to me over my 30 years of teaching! I'm a new follower and hope you'll stop by blog some time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind words. I will be sure to check out all of your blogs. I love meeting new people who love education as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete