Saturday, June 15, 2013

Talking, Drawing, Writing: Chapter 2-The Drawing and Writing Book



The more I read in this book, the more excited I am to teach writing to my kindergarteners when I get back to school in August. The authors have made such a point that there is more than one way to tell a story. In this chapter, the focus was on telling a story using drawings.

In the chapter, the author laid out several lessons that focus on the Drawing and Writing Book, a student journal. The point of this journal is for students to find their voice as a writer and become confident in their writing, whether it is in words or pictures. I loved the step-by-step modeling that the teachers in the lessons completed, and found that it facilitated great student work. It was so easy to visualize what was going on in the classrooms.

One thing that really resonated with me during the lessons was how the teachers taught their students to reread their work, even if their work was a drawing. As an older grades teacher, I have found that so many students have NO CLUE when it comes to rereading and editing their work. When I have asked a second or third grader to reread their writing, I can’t tell you how many times a child has quickly glanced at their work and then grinned at me and said, “I’m done. Looks great”. Being able to reread and then add to your work or make necessary changes is such an important writing skill. Teaching this skill as a foundational writing skill would have such a positive impact on student writing in the older grades.

I strongly encourage any teacher who is looking for a great summer read to join this book study. It is an easy read but one that truly makes you question the best practices for the teaching of writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment